Regardless of what else you may have heard, unless you are at sea, you cannot pump your urine overboard into rivers or canals in the UK (and most/all other countries that we are aware of. For this reason you need to contain the urine within your vessel until you can dispose of it legally and responsibly.
In addition to recognising that you need to keep urine inside your vessel, you also need to make sure that urine doesn’t spill onto your bathroom floor (for reason of hygiene/health) or into your bilge (to avoid further corrosion and to prevent bilge pumps for pumping the urine overboard).
The best solution is to have a bottle contained /inside/ the toilet and, furthermore, to have a bund (leakproof enclosure) to make sure that accidental overspills do not get onto your floor or into your bilge.
In this regard Kildwick compost toilets offer significant benefits over other toilets in that we:
- Include a study, self-contained, easily-emptied urine container
- Urine container is made from leach-proof anti-bacterial plastic which slows down bacterial build-up and helps to keep smell at bay.
- Have bases that are 100% leakproof guaranteed for life – an accidental bottle over-fill will not get into your bilge.
Whilst warm/moist urine and ‘poo’ won;’t necessarily smell beyond a level of ‘musty wood’ it will create a certain level of humidity which can cause condensation and potentially lead to smells. Kildwick offers the most versatile and comprehensive approach to ventilation available and includes:
- Below gunwale vent using dedicated skin-fittings or ‘T-ing’ into the bathroom hand-basin outflow.
- Cabin-side using the flush fitting that you won’t catch on as you move around the boat.
- Low profile roof fittings using an existing pump-out fitting one the tank has been removed
- Low profile roof fitting urine with requirement for only a small-diameter hole
- Refillable carbon filter which sits inside the toilet and vents into the bathroom.